Friday, 30 January 2015

Websites that cover topics of Eton Wick village history

There are many websites that include information about the history of Eton Wick and the surrounding area. This first selection includes the sites that cover the institutions of the village


Eton Wick Village Hall


The land the village hall is built on was a gift from Edward Littleton Vaughan. Edward was a great benefactor to the village of Eton Wick and was known affectionately as 'Toddy' Vaughan. The hall was first known as 'The Institute' and was opened on January 22nd 1907, the commemorative stone in the porch having been laid by Mr Vaughan. Read more......

St John the Baptist Church


This Victorian church was consecrated in 1867 as a daughter church to the main parish church in Eton. The first stained glass window of interest, the ‘Children’s Window’ was dedicated in 1888.  This had been paid for by the Sunday School children themselves through collections made over the previous two years. Read more.......


The church of St Mary Magdalene, Boveney


The church of St Mary Magdalene, Boveney stands on a site which has been a place of worship since before the Norman conquest. Its origins are obscure but the earliest known reference to it was made in 1266, when the offerings from the church were assigned to the vicarage of Burnham. Read more......
 

The Methodist Chapel


Eton Wick in the 1870s was a very small country village. Its houses, less than a hundred in number, were mainly concentrated between Bell Lane and Sheepcote Road, and between the Common and Eton Wick Road. There were several farms and farm cottages, and Bell Farm had recently been bought by the Eton Sanitary Authority for use as a sewage farm for Eton. Read more......


Eton Wick Football Club


Eton Wick football club was formed in 1881 and their original playing field was on Dorney Common. Read more..........

No comments:

Post a comment