Monday 31 July 2023

Old Days of Eton Parish - APPENDIX 1 - Rectors


Date of Institution. 

1 Thomas de Lacel unknown 

2 Hugo de Hoddeg 1239 

3 Thomas Holte 1299 died 1328 

4 William de Kirkeby 1328 resigned

5 Jeffry de Upton 1331 

6 William de Honesworth 1340 

7 John Alban I380 exchanged 

8 William Dole 1383 

9 Walter Aumeny 1400 resigned 

10 John Herde 1402 

11 John Rothwell 1402 

12 John Wiltonhurst ••• 1408 

13 John Walton (? Watton) ••• 1409 

14 William Gillyot .. 1414 

15 William Kery ... died 1433 

16 William Ap David ••• 1433 

17 Pagan Burgill ••• 1435 

18 John Kett ••• 1438 resigned 

No. 2 presented by Hugo de Hoddeg. „ 

No 3 to 11 presented by members of the Huntercombe family. 

No 12 to 15 presented by John Rous, Skidymore and Lovell. „ 

No 16 and 17 presented by Lady Felicia Lovell. 


1440 (October)                                     ••• Henry Sever 

1443 (December)                                 ••• William Waynflete 

1447 July 31                                         ••• John Clerk 

1447 (December 8)                              ••• William Westbury 

1477 March 31                                     ••• Henry Bost 

1504 February 17                                 ••• Roger Lupton 

1535 June 21                                        ••• Robert Aldrich 

1547 December 29                                ••• (Sir) Thomas Smith 

1554     July 13                                      ... Henry Cole

1559      July 5                                       ... William Bill

1561     July 25                                      ... Richard Bruerne

1561     December 18                             ... William Day

1596      May 26                                     ... (Sir) Henry Savile

1622     February 28                               ... Thomas Murray

1624      July 24                                       ... Sir Henry Wotton

1639     December 28                              … Richard Steward

1644      (February 1)                               ... Francis Rouse

1659      January 14                                 ... Nicholas Lockyer

1660     (July 7)                                        ... Nicholas Monck

1662      March 3                                      ... John Meredith

1665      August 8                                     ... Richard Allestree

1681      February 24                               ... Zachary Cradock

1695      October 23                                 ... Henry Godolphin

1732      February 10                                ... Henry Bland

1746      June 4                                         ... Stephen Sleech

1765      October 25                                  ... Edward Barnard

1781      December 12                               ... William Hayward Roberts

1791      December 14                               ... Jonathan Davies

1809      December 21                                ... Joseph Goodall

1840      April 7                                           ... John Lonsdale

1840      May 5                                            ... Francis Hodgson

1853      January 12                                    ... Edward Craven Hawtrey

1862      January 27                                    ... Charles Old Goodford

OLD DAYS OF ETON PARISH by The Rev. John Shephard, M.A. was published in 1908 by Spottiswoode and Co Ltd. The text has been copied from the original book that is now out of copyright.

Tuesday 25 July 2023

Parish Magazine - History Group Meeting Report - 'Festive Evening'

Eton Wick's thriving and enthusiastic History Group thoroughly enjoyed themselves at their 'Festive Evening' on 26th January 1996. The first half of the evening was devoted to a light-hearted Local History Quiz, which involved answering questions on photographic slides of various views in the area. Multiple choice answers were offered, which was rather fortunate for comparative newcomers, but even long term residents had difficulty with some questions, for example, would you have known why a gentleman took to the Thames on an amphibious motorcycle (he did it to win a wager!), and what was the annual event at the village ponds, which used to exist in Common Road - surely the correct answer must be the "model boat sailing competition" - but no, it was motorcycle racing (no doubt organised by the chap with the amphibious motorcycle!).

The winner of the Quiz was Dr. Judith Hunter, the local historian; however, attendance and interest in the History Group is such that her success was not easily won; it was only after a tense tiebreaker that she gained the vital point to enable her to reap the reward of a fine basket of fruit.

The Group very much appreciated the tremendous amount of work and time which Mr. Tony Cullum must have spent in pre-paring the Quiz questions, not to mention the often hilarious alternative answers which he offered; he also proved a very adept Quizmaster, with the help of Mr. Frank Bond on the slide projector.

After the competition the Group spent the remainder of the evening socialising over a splendid buffet supper and delicious punch. Earlier in the evening Mr. Bond had reported that the Group had sufficient funds, with the help of substantial donations, to cover the cost of the repairs and reconstruction work to 'The Pound' at Folly Bridge; and work would commence on 31st January.

The contract has been awarded to Mr. Livesey of Victoria Road. When the work is complete a plaque, explaining the history of the structure, will be sited inside the Pound. Mr. Bond reminded the group that the entry fee for forthcoming meeting has had to be increased from 50p to 70p in order to cover costs. 

Monday 17 July 2023

Photographic History of Eton Wick and Eton - Eton Wick Cycling Friends

Photograph taken c1900. Left to right: Nobby Talbot, Edward Hammerton, George Kirby, Arthur Woolhouse, Alf Miles and Jack White. The photograph was taken in Burnham Beeches. 

This article was first published in A Pictorial History of Eton Wick & Eton.

Tuesday 11 July 2023

100 Years Ago - Eton College Chapel Hit by a Bolt Lightning

100 years ago, the Daily Telegraph reported that a heavy thunderstorm broke over Windsor and Eton between 6.30 and 7.30 on the evening of 10th July 1923. The storm continued with violence for some time. Many Eton boys were on the river and caught the worst of the deluge. Many returned to the College boathouses on the Eton shore with their boots half full of water.

One of the spires of Lower Chapel, Eton College, was struck by lightning and fell with a crash into the chapel precincts and on the highway. Only a minute before Mr. A. Mellor, one of the College music masters, had passed by in a motorcar. 

Mr. R. H. Baverstock, of Queen’s Road, Windsor, manager of a wholesale meat company, had an unusual experience when motorcycling towards Windsor Castle. A sharp flash of lightning struck the handlebar of the machine, which stopped dead in the thoroughfare. He was thrown off the machine but was not hurt. Remounting the bicycle, he discovered it had been damaged, and needed to be taken to a garage for repair. 

The article about the storm was republished in the Daily Telegraph of 11th July 2023.

Note Reginald H Braverstock was born on 8th July,1891 and the 1901 Census records that he was living with his parents and brother in Rydens Grove, Hersham. The 1911 Census recorded that he was working as a Cleck at a Wholesale Butchers.

The 1939 Register records that he was living at 80, Bridge Road Chessington with his wife May. They had married on 14th July 1917. His occupation is shown as a salesman in the meat trade and that he was a transport driver with the ARP.

He died in 1943 aged 52.

Monday 10 July 2023

Eton Wick History Group Meeting 12th July 2023 - Reading's Other Industries


Tough Assignment - Do You Remember?

In the story of any society there are numerous incidents too trivial or fleeting to fit into the more formal history. Yet they too are part of the rich tapestry of events and deserve to be recorded, if only because we still sometimes think back and laugh once again.

... the services of not so very long ago when every woman wore a hat - and the children who loved to try and fill the hat brim of the lady in front with matchsticks?

... Eli Carter and Charlie Wilkins and other local preachers who made the journey to Eton Wick on cycles in all weathers.

... Mr Clifton, a Baptist preacher, who visited the Sisterhood in the 1930s? He had a fantastic imagination and kept his audience in fits of laughter, much to the consternation of Mrs Chew - though just before the end of his talk he would remember to include the requisite spiritual message.

... the local preacher whose false teeth used to chatter, or the occasion when one local preacher pulled a handkerchief from his pocket - and also his false teeth which clattered down the pulpit steps?

... the speaker who came to talk to the Band of Hope bringing with him a piece of diseased liver in a glass tube?

... Mr Frank Styles who played the organ for services, but who could also make it sound like a hurdy gurdy?

... Ken Clifton and the hilarious times enjoyed by all at the fund-raising socials when he was fed blind-folded with cold custard?

... the gas lamps on either side of the pulpit and the disastrous effect of those preachers who tried to make a point by flinging wide their arms?

... the morning when torrential rain kept us all from going home and the spout of water that gushed through the wall near the spot where the present pulpit stands?

... the 1947 floods and how Eton Wick was cut off from the outside world for almost a week, except for one phone in Chantler's Stores? The Salvation Army Concert arranged to be held at the chapel had to be cancelled. ... the oil stoves which were used to supplement the heating during the 2nd World War, and how, on at least two occasions, clouds of thick, smelly smoke billowed out of the chapel front door when it was opened for morning service? The services were held up until the smoke had cleared.

... the time when one young lady came to preach and entered the pulpit clothed in a scarf, balaclava, mittens and a coat. A voice from the back of the congregation asked in a stage whisper " Is she stopping? "

... the long serving Sunday School official (who does not gamble) who bet one his scholars that he couldn't get his father to come to chapel .... and lost!!

... when the fusebox began to smoke last year and how the organ had to be replaced by the piano until the offending fuse had been replaced.

... when Moore's Lane was so narrow that coaches could not turn the corner from Alma Road. This meant that the coaches had to reverse into Inkerman Road and then back towards the chapel.

... that just after World War II when funds were low the Sunday School children had to choose between prizes and a Summer Outing?

... the old negro penny savings bank which belongs to the Sunday School and is still loved by the youngest children?

Ladies Club Cowboy Supper 1967 

The Eton Wick History Group is most grateful for the kind permission given by the Eton Wick Methodist Chapel to republish this history, Tough Assignment on this website.

Monday 3 July 2023

Old Days of Eton Parish - CHAPTER XVII - THE LAST.

THE census of the town and parish in 1871 shewed a population of 3261; in 1881, 3169; in 1891, 2986; in 1901, 3154. In all cases the boys in College are excluded; the varying numbers may be largely accounted for by the time chosen for the census. The last two returns indicate some decrease of population. This is partly explained by the pulling down of cottages to make room for College houses, and the reduction in the town of in-habited houses from 635 before 1891 to 494 in 1901. 

The last twenty years of the nineteenth century were also marked by the migration of a considerable number of tradespeople from their shops in the High Street to more commodious homes in Windsor or Slough. This of course caused a corresponding decrease in the attendance at the Parish Church and left many gaps in seats formerly occupied by large families. The building of the Lower School Chapel also drew away some who hitherto could find no room in the College Chapel. 

The working class population, during those twenty years, was also driven for want of cottage accommodation to seek it elsewhere, and many regular workers in Eton lived in Slough, Windsor or at Eton Wick. A fresh opening for the artisan class was made just beyond Eton Wick. 

This came about indirectly by the action of the Eton Urban Board. More space was required for the Sewage Farm, and they accordingly purchased land in Boveney, and then finding that they had on their hands more than was needed, they offered the rest for sale. 

The purchaser saw his opportunity and soon covered the land with villas and cottages, which were equally soon filled with tenants, most of whom were working in Eton. A considerable population was thus created, and being far distant from their Parish Church of Burnham and. Burnham schools, the people found their way to Eton Wick Church and schools. This, and the general unsuitability of the Eton Wick school for modern requirements, brought about the erection of Girls' and Infants' schools close to the Church on ground granted by the Crown. The change was effected in 1888 at the cost of £1237. 

In 1881 the Eton School Laundry at Willowbrook was opened. Although inaugurated in the interests of the College, it has proved in many ways beneficial to the homes and lives of many of the working people in the parish. 

In 1894 the College Watermen were re-organized--a much needed reform, which has also contributed to the better interests of the parish. 

In 1887 was Queen Victoria's jubilee. 

The rest of the events up to the death of the Queen may be very briefly chronicled. 

In 1892 the old Porny school-room, which for some years had been a carpenter's workshop, was secured as a Parish Room, for holding meetings, classes and entertainments. This was carried out largely by the energy of the Rev. G. S. Clayton, Assistant Curate 1892 to 1897. 

In December 1894 the Urban District Council for Eton was elected, and superseded the old Local Board. 

At the same time the out-district of Eton Wick was constituted a parish for civil purposes, and five parish councillors were elected to manage their business. 

In 1892 a temporary arrangement was made with the Vicar of Burnham, by which the Vicar of Eton undertook the spiritual care of the growing population in New Boveney. 

In 1895, at Easter time, there was a large muster of volunteers, who were quartered in the various school buildings in Eton and the College. A special service was held for them on Easter morning. 

A year later, the Cemetery Chapel was newly floored, and the east end of it enriched by some marble work and a beautiful stained window. 

In the course of 1898 a piece of ground, presented by the College, was added to the cemetery and consecrated by the Bishop of the Diocese. 

A branch was started of the Mothers' Union in 1890, and a Company of the Church Lads' Brigade in 1899. Both of these have proved of signal value in the parish. 

In 1900 the parish sustained a severe loss by the death of the Vicar's Churchwarden, Mr. J. P. Carter. A processional cross was presented to the Cemetery Chapel in his memory, and a churchyard cross was erected by parishioners and friends, and placed just between the old and the new part of the cemetery. 

The outbreak of the Boer War, and the call of many Eton soldiers who were in reserve to leave their work and serve their country, marked the year 1899, and led to the raising in the district of a fund for the maintenance of the soldiers' wives and children, and to a pathetically memorable Christmas party given to them by the Queen at Windsor Castle.

A few months later, Victoria the Good had passed away, and Eton took its part in paying its last sad homage to a revered memory, and then in the year following (1902) there was the busy preparation for King Edward's Coronation, his unlooked for illness and happy recovery. 

In 1901 Bishop Stubbs also died, and Bishop Paget became Bishop of the Diocese. 

The only parish event of these years which needs to be added to our record was the inauguration in Eton of a representative Church Council to consider Church matters and advise the Vicar. 

With this we must close the last chapter of this story of the ups and downs of the town and parish of Eton. Many smaller incidents in these later years might have been included, and the names of many individuals, lay and clerical, might have been mentioned, to whose devoted work and example the parish owes a debt of gratitude, but to do so with due discrimination of worth would be a difficult and invidious task. Their labours of love will meet a full reward. We need only express the hope that those who read in these pages of the inheritance derived from the centuries past, will follow in their steps and bestir themselves in good earnest to uphold all Eton's best traditions, and will take their part in handing on to generations yet to come even larger benefits, and greater opportunities for good than they have themselves enjoyed. 

OLD DAYS OF ETON PARISH by The Rev. John Shephard, M.A. was published in 1908 by Spottiswoode and Co Ltd. The text has been copied from the original book that is now out of copyright.