|Shakespeare Stores, Alma Road
Fred and Olive Willsher
outside their shop in 1939
Olive ran the shop; Fred was a musician on a liner. In its early days the shop was in the hands of Charles Ayres; the Willshers took the shop on from Lucy and Jess Binfield in the mid-1930s and handed over to Mr and Mrs Gerry Chinnery in the mid 1940s. Note the pre-war style advertising plates on the shed door. The last business use before becoming a domestic residence was by Harry Cook, Builder/Jobber.
This article was first published in A Pictorial History of Eton Wick & Eton.