|The Ayres/Prior family
outside 'Home Close' in Bell Lane c1910.
Adults from left: James Ayres, Hannah (daughter), her husband Harry Prior (Sen.) and children Avis, Harry (Jun.) and Mary.
In the 1880/90s James sold off some of his land, parcel by parcel for the building of the then designated Boveney New Town — Alma, Inkerman and Northfield Roads. He gave, free of charge, the plot on which Annie Tough and her followers built the Methodist Chapel in Alma Road. In 1953 Harry Prior Jun. sold much of the family orchard for the building of homes in Lower Bell Lane.
This article was first published in A Pictorial History of Eton Wick & Eton.