Mr and Mrs J W Moore, Miss A M Moore, Mrs L B Bailey, Mrs E
S Eddy, Mrs E M Groves, Mrs A M Marks and Mrs R E Symonds
For many years seat rents were paid for Mr and Mrs Moore and
the two daughters still living at home, and also for Miss Ada Moore who was an
active member of the chapel in her own right. John Moore was one of the eight
original trustees and a considerable benefactor to the chapel. He never became
a local preacher, but he was a helper, a term which implied that he assisted
with the services. Amongst other things he presented the Chapel with its first
harmonium in 1893.
Outside the chapel he carved himself a position of
considerable local importance. His success in this field was recorded in the
'He was the first highway surveyor elected in Boveney
Parish; the first School Board member elected in that parish; the first Parish
Council chairman elected by the parishioners; also the first District
councillor, and the first Guardian of the poor elected by ballot in the parish.
He was also the first promoter of allotment schemes in Boveney, posted the
first letter in the first post office provided there; obtained the licence for
the chapel by which the fourth marriage in 600 years was performed in Boveney
Parish, and that was the wedding of his youngest daughter; and built the first
six villa residences in Boveney Parish'.
He was more than a little proud of his achievements (quoting
from the newspaper in his Christmas cards), but such a recital hardly does
justice to his energy and drive. Boveney was a divided parish. The old village
was very small lying close to the river and on the other side of Dorney Common
to the new (and rapidly growing) community of Boveney New Town. The impact of
John Moore on the civic affairs of this quiet parish cannot have been anything
but shattering and within a very few years the centre of local government had
moved from the village to the new settlement over the border from Eton Wick.
When parish councils were first instituted in 1894, the first chairman of
Boveney's was indeed J W Moore and council meetings were held at the chapel for
an annual rent of 10s. Moore's Lane is named after him.
The Eton Wick History Group is most grateful for the kind permission given by the Eton Wick Methodist Chapel to republish this history, Tough Assignment on this website.