Harry Chantler’s Post Office and Grocery Store — 1960
Establishment of an A.R.P. wardens’ post at Harry Chantler’s shop involved shoring up the back room with bulks of timber and sand bags against bomb blast. The job was so well done that when Harry married, he was unable to take delivery of his new furniture due to the obstruction. This added protection raised another problem for Mr an Mrs Chantler when the evacuees arrived in the village. Upon inspection of their home they were told by the London County Council (L.C.C.) Headmaster, Mr Cawsley, that their premises were not suitable to take children.
The loan of the Coach House in Hogarth Road, (now part of Victoria Road). free of charge by Mr Nottage to the Eton fire Brigade for the duration of the war, allowed for the establishment of an auxiliary fire point at Eton Wick and was agreed on the condition that the council undertook the insurance of the building.
Coach House. Eton Wick. Wartime auxiliary fire point
Responding to the call by the County Police Authority for men to train as Special Constables, Mr Morrell, Johnny Bell, Bob Friend, Edwin Buckland, Ernie Thomas. Ernie Prosser and Norman Lane volunteered and were sworn in carrying out their duties at Eton and Eton Wick. David Bryant with Eddie and Ernie Bond joined as police messengers. At first their reporting post was the surface shelter located in the garden of the police house, Moores Lane, until such time as other facilities became available at the Wheatbutts Scout Hut. The average duty rosta was two nights per week unless an alert sounded, then every one reported for duty which often became an all night stint. Night duty by civil defence volunteers was not an acceptable excuse for absenteeism from work the following day. Persistent offenders working in factories engaged in the production of military equipment or in public transport risked being summoned to appear at court to explain their action and possibly face a court fine.
This is an extract from Round and About Eton Wick: 1939 - 1945. The book was researched, written and published in 2001 by John Denham.