Churches, School and Village Hall

We're gradually adding bits and pieces about the history of Eton and Eton Wick to the website. If you have done any research or have memories you would like to add, please email us or contact Mrs Teresa Stanton, Secretary.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Eton Wick School - memories of Mr Moss' time as headmaster

Vernon Moss arrived in Eton Wick with his family in 1955, having previously been headmaster of a small school in the village of Hopton, on the Norfolk-Suffolk border. Over the next 21 years he made a substantial contribution to village life. Read more......



Eton Wick School Class photos 



If you know any more about the pictures on this page, please let us know. Or you might have some other class photographs from Eton Wick School which we could add? Read more......




Eton Wick School in the post-war years

The school diary records that the air raid shelters were removed in 1946 and school life was back to normal by 1947. As the school is of Church of England denomination an inspection by the Oxford Diocesan brought forth the following comment— Read more .......




Eton Wick School: 1939 - 1945


Initially the Eton Wick School and the evacuated London County Council (L.C.C.) children shared Eton Wick’s School premises, which resulted in overcrowding of available classrooms. A trial of sharing the day with Eton Wick children attending morning class and the L.C.C. attending afternoon class. Read more......




Eton Wick School: Events from the school log




The history revealed in the log show that, and how the school community was effected local, nation and intention event. Read more......

 




Eton Wick School: the beginning


In 1831 the Reverend Henry John Chitty Harper came from Oxford to be a private tutor at Eton College. He was an enthusiastic man of strong character who did not like to be idle. It was through his energy and enthusiasm to get things improved for the poor that the first schoolroom was built in Eton Wick in 1840  Read more......




Eton Wick Church Choir, late 1940's 

The Priest in Charge at Eton Wick as in the photograph is the Revd. Christopher Hare. He lived at 10 The Cloisters, Windsor Castle, as he was also a Minor Cannon there. He was well loved in the village, and I have a picture of a group of children and parents sitting with him on a seaside beach (probably Southsea) where we had gone for a church outing. Read more......



A brief history of St John the Baptist 


In 2013 and 2014 the Rev. Holt left the village and the Rev. Stacey came to be the new vicar. This seems an appropriate time to reflect on its conducts, priests and Vicars. Eton Wick had no church building until 1866/7 when St. Johns was built in Sheepcote. Previously services (but not the Sacraments) were held in the school room at the top of the walk, but of course that building did not exist until 1840. We are told of earlier services in a farm building, Read more......




St. John's, Eton and the great Victorian marriage scandal


Imagine a whole generation of respectably married Victorians waking up to discover that they weren’t officially married at all. In 1875 this was the situation facing more than two hundred couples thanks to an administrative mix-up at read more......





Baby Clinic


The story of Eton Wick Baby Clinic has been researched from the pages of the parish magazine and told by village resident, Joan Ballhatchet. On Friday 19th February, 1915, one of the first baby clinics in Buckinghamshire was opened in Eton Wick Village Hall. It was known as the Babies' Welcome. Read more......








Eton Wick Village Hall

Eton Wick village hall, first known as 'The Institute', was opened on January 22nd 1907, the commemorative stone in the porch having been laid by Mr Vaughan on Friday November 16th 1906.  A brief ceremony attended by a gathering of parishioners and invited guests ended with the singing of '0 God our help in ages past' by the village school children. The evening entertainment on the day was given by Mr EMS Pilkington, the architect of the building, entitled 'The amusements of a London Boy' read more.....

No comments:

Post a comment