Monday, 28 December 2015

7 'New' Shops Opened For Business In 1951

7 shops on Eton Wick Road

The 'new' shops, Eton Wick In 1951 the Eton Urban District Council built a parade of seven shops in what had been the Brewers (Meux) Field alongside the Shepherds Hut. Before these shops the village had been supplied by mobile traders and a few individual shops scattered throughout the community, most of which were adapted homes.

These traders served the village well and in many respects it was to be regretted that the new purpose built shops would in time displace the older businesses. The shops both old and new in Eton and Eton Wick at that time were service shops supplying daily essentials such as meat, fish, groceries, fruit and vegetables, and dairy, bakery and chemist products. By the end of the 20th century, this service trade was fast vanishing from the local streets, as car ownership and supermarkets became the norm.

The first businesses to take up occupancy in 1951 were (from the nearest shop in the photo): Barnes (wet fish and game), Arnold's (butchers), O'Flaherty (chemist), Clinch (bakery), Darville's (grocery), Anderson (newsagent and tobacco), and Bond (greengrocery). When Doreen Tarrant (née Clinch) retired, Darvilles expanded into this unit, the wet fish shop became a fish and chip shop (now also a Chinese take-away) and the butcher's became a hairdresser's salon.

Thursday, 17 December 2015

Public Houses and Outings - The Shepherds Hut

Shepherds Hut Darts Team 1947/48
For many years the 'Hut' was well known for having a strong darts team. The team above, pictured with their trophies in 1947/8 are, from the left: George Mumford (village butcher), J Dalby, 'Joby' Milton (father of Pam Jaycock, pictured elsewhere in the book), Walter Stacey (Team Captain), George Giles, Wally Gregory (later to become landlord of the Grapes), Les Lovegrove, Albert Hood and Fred Millis.

A Shepherds Hut outing in the mid-1950s. 
The 'Hut' outings to the coast had a reputation for the generous dry and wet refreshments that were provided. Those enjoying the traditional stop en route are, front row from left to right: Walt Woolhouse, Albert Hood, Dennis Robson, Spike Robson (father), Landlord Bill Colbourne; Jim Marshall (Dorney Court Farm Ploughman) is between Spike and Bill, and on the extreme right is John North (Blue Bus driver); the man on the right wearing a top hat has not been identified. Bill Colbourne was landlord from 1932 to around 1960. 

An earlier (1912) Shepherds Hut group. 
At the back: Ted Hammerton, George Kirby and Jack Try. Second row: Jack Wilson, A Woolhouse, Jack Binfield, M Keen, Fred Pert, Fred Wilson (no relation to Jack), the man in the cap with a pipe is not identified, 'Pony' Moore and G Attride. Front row: Fred Stacey, Mr Hammerton (Sen.), Bill Stacey and Mr Porter. (Fred and Bill Stacey were the landlord's sons and Mr Hammerton their great uncle). Jack Try, following his 1914/18 War service discharge founded the Windsorian Coach Company. Fred Pert became the organising secretary of the newly formed Boys' Five a Side Football Competition for the sons of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers. 

The Shepherds Hut, c1920. 
The Staceys were landlords from 1899 to 1932. William Stacey died in November 1918. His widow kept the pub for a further fourteen years. Daughter Jennie Stacey, (later Harman) is in this photo. William Colbourne took over from Mrs Stacey. The pub became a Meux house, then Friary Meux, Ind Coope and, now, Fullers. 

Shepherds Hut Field, adjoining the pub belonged to the brewers, and was rented out for work horses. A Pelhams Funfair was held in it annually. In 1951 the Council built the parade of seven shops, followed some time later by the Princes Close housing development. A small portion of the field remains at the back of the pub. 

The Stacey family.

Left to right, starting at the back: Edith (daughter), Bill (son), Roger, Bill (father), Walter, Nora, Mrs Stacey (landlady from 1918 to 1932 following her husband's death), Jennie and Fred. During the same period, another Stacey widow, with her son Jack, ran the Grapes (now the Pickwick). 

Bill Colbourne

Bill became landlord of the Shepherds Hut in 1932 and kept a very popular house for approximately the next 25 years. Here he is pictured drawing free pints for the pub's day trippers to the coast. 'Jock' Lockhart is behind Bill with a glass of beer in his hand. Jock was an ex-Scots Guardsman, married to local girl Grace Harman, and worked for builders J T Ireland as a carpenter. 

Public Houses and Outings - The Shepherds Hut is an extract from A photographic history of Eton Wick & Eton